Elisa Rhodes, Assistant Dresses Buyer at Marks & Spencer, suggests that if you’re a wedding guest, it’s always worth researching the theme before choosing your outfit. Here she highlights the top wedding themes for 2013 and reveals her tips on dressing for the occasion…
Elegant 1920s theme
- Look for dresses with dropped waists or an empire line cut under the bust.
- Silk, chiffon and lace are key fabrics to search for when creating this look.
- Black was also a popular colour but it is a dramatic statement for a wedding look, so if you choose this colour opt for a dress with details that soften the look like ruching, embellishment, ribbons, beading or a sheer fabric with a lighter petticoat underneath.
- If there’s going to be a jazz band, there’s likely to be lots of dancing so a pair of comfortable heels is crucial if you want to make the most of the event.
Glamorous Hollywood theme
- Elegant, floor-length dresses are perfect for this type of wedding theme, as this style isn’t one women get to wear to many events for fear of being overdressed.
- Structured bodices and flattering necklines (like sweetheart or halternecks) are great options to show off the shoulders and ooze confidence.
- Add a box clutch and fascinator to really up the style stakes.
Vintage English Country Garden theme
- Pastel colours, like peppermint green, work really well with this theme and are also a key fashion trend for SS13.
- The top tip to remember with a vintage look is to avoid anything too clingy or with a modern print.
- Borderie Anglaise and floral prints are very feminine and suit all body shapes s to– try on a variety of cuts to see which suits your frame best.
- A square neckline is perfect for bigger busts, while an A-line skirt adds curves to straighter figures.
Laid-back beach wedding
- Lightweight and breathable fabrics, such as cotton, are key for a beach wedding as you will want to feel comfortable in a hot climate.
- Fuss-free, floaty dresses work well for this theme, making maxi dresses ideal – but avoid designs with too many layers of fabric or they could end up clinging to your legs.
- Nautical is also a fun trend to adopt on the beach; sea hues of blue, white and turquoise colours can create a fresh and clean look.
Statement monochrome theme
- Monochrome dresses are big news for SS13 and perfect wedding guest attire – black is acceptable at weddings!
- They don’t only look chic, but the huge variety of prints and patterns available mean that there’s a dress to suit all body shapes.
- Black and white is the simplest colour combination to match accessories to – who doesn’t have a pair of black heels?
- To add a fun edge, inject a colour pop into the outfit with a bright clutch bag, a coloured blazer or a slick of red lipstick.