Brits have voted for their favourite, so here’s the most popular first dance song in the UK.
It’s official: music is the food of love – at least according to a survey by Sonos, which has revealed that over two thirds of Brits (69 per cent) agree that couples who listen to music together, stay together. We guess that’s why the wedding first dance song is so important.
It was also discovered that the most popular first dance song for couples on their wedding day is Elvis Presley’s 1961 hit I Can’t Help Falling in Love with You, with Bryan Adams’ I Do It For You and Eric Clapton’s Wonderful Tonight following close behind.
Music or sex?
Couples who listen to music out loud are reportedly more intimate 2.5 times per week on average, while the significance of music in a relationship was deemed “important” for 79 per cent of Brits. In fact, when given the choice between music and sex in a relationship, almost a third of those polled said they’d prefer music!
“Music plays a huge role in people’s lives, whether you’re single or in a relationship,” says Vicki Pavitt, relationship expert and co-founder of Project Love. “These findings show the impact from the early days of dating – to the special wedding day and beyond.”
“A clash in music tastes with a partner can cause some relationships to end on the wrong note, but honesty is key – they will want to know the real you.”
The survey also revealed that more than half of couple’s polled (57 per cent) choose their first dance song based on the music they had listened to and reminded them of when they first got together.
Other favourites from those surveyed included Your Song by Elton John, Dancing Queen by ABBA and The Way You Look Tonight by Frank Sinatra.
Which tracks made the list of most popular first dance songs?
- Can’t Help Falling In Love – Elvis Presley
- (Everything I Do) I Do It For You – Bryan Adams
- Wonderful Tonight – Eric Clapton
- Unchained Melody – The Righteous Brothers
- All of Me – John Legend
- Can’t Take My Eyes off You – Andy Williams
- I Don’t Want to Miss a Thing – Aerosmith
- When a Man Loves a Women – Percy Sledge
- Your Song – Elton John
- Dancing Queen – ABBA
- A Thousand Years – Christina Perry
- Thinking Out Loud – Ed Sheeran
- Marry You – Bruno Mars
- The Way You Look Tonight – Frank Sinatra
- At Last – Etta James
- Let’s Stay Together – Al Green
- Stand by Me – Ben E King
- The Time of My Life – Bill Medley/Jennifer Warnes
- What a Wonderful World – Louis Armstrong
- Kiss Me – Ed Sheeran
Which song have you chosen for your first dance?