Looking for some small wedding ideas? We’ve got 10 top tips to help you plan your perfect small wedding abroad.
- Firstly, you need to choose a destination for your small wedding abroad. Consider the climate, legal requirements such as length of residency, and any restrictions before booking any suppliers in another country.
- Do your research before you book the hotel. Use websites like trip advisor and our planning section for venue reviews, and make sure that your requirements can be met.
- Documentation you need to marry will differ from country to country. Your passport will need to have at least six months left on it, so make sure this is up to date.
- When booking, you should be offered a wedding planner – it will be worth taking this up as they will ensure all bases are covered, paperwork is correct, and everything you need at your destination is in place.
- If you are planning the whole event on your own, make sure that you fully understand all the contracts you’re signing. You may need to hire a translator to make sure.
- Check out all the offers available to you when booking, as some companies will offer group discounts. You should also look carefully at what the actual wedding day will consist of – flowers, cakes, cars, photographers and so on.
- When choosing your dress, think about the journey it will make. Most locations should offer a pressing service, but you don’t want your dream dress to arrive looking less than perfect. Think about boxes to store your gown while you’re in transit. Choose a lightweight fabric like silk or chiffon that will keep you cool throughout the ceremony.
- If you’re planning a small wedding in a cold country, think about alternative routes to the ceremony. You could get caught up in snow or ice on impassable roads!
- If you’re having hair and makeup done by a stylist at the resort, make sure you take lots of pictures of the looks you like. Makeup should be mattifying to minimize shine.
- If guests are joining you from the UK, make sure you give them something to keep them cool during the ceremony. Fans are a great idea!
What are your best ideas for a small wedding abroad?
Continue reading below…