Bride and groom
Credit: iStock

A ton of time and money go into planning a wedding, but if it doesn’t quite go to plan on the big day, it’s worth knowing where you stand with your legal rights. The wedding dress doesn’t fit?

According to Consumer Rights Act, if you bought the wrong size dress you may not be entitled to any money back, but if you have bought a made-to-measure gown that doesn’t follow your sizing requirements, you are eligible to get your money back or at least a replacement.

What should we do if our wedding venue has closed down?

Wedding venues can be booked up several years in advance, so there’s always the chance that circumstances can change with the business during that time. If your wedding reception does go out of business before your big day, you may be entitled to money back, but this isn’t guaranteed.

Credit cards are the safest method to pay for high value items and will cover you between the value of £100 to £30,000. If you paid via credit card, you can apply for a Section 75 claim, that will give you a full or partial refund of the costs. PayPal also offers some legal protection through its disputes resolution scheme.

If the company responsible for your wedding reception has gone out of business, you can apply to be a creditor by filling out a form with details about what you are owed and sending this to the administrator who is handling the company’s debts. You can search to see if a company has gone bankrupt by searching the Companies House list or looking at the insolvency register.

READ MORE: The questions to ask your wedding venue before you book

What should we do if our flowers haven’t arrived?

Continue reading below…

When you buy something, it’s the seller’s responsibility to make sure the items are delivered to you. If you have any concerns about your item not arriving on time, firstly contact the seller as they should legally provide you with an update. If your item doesn’t arrive, you are legally entitled to a refund or replacement within 30 days. When it comes to florists, UK-based ones should all abide by the British Florist Association Standard of Excellence, so if you feel that your problem hasn’t been dealt with in a timely or professional manner, you can escalate your complaint to this trade association.

What should we do if we’re upset about the quality of our cake?

If you notice before the big day that your wedding cake isn’t up to scratch, you should firstly contact the provider and see if they would be happy to make you an alternative or give you a discount. If the service would take too long or it would be an inconvenience, you can ask the seller for a refund. According to the Consumer Rights Act, if you are unhappy with a service, you have the right to report this for up to five years in Scotland, or up to six years in the UK.

What should we do if our wedding entertainment hasn’t turned up?

If the entertainment you booked for your big day doesn’t turn up, the provider is in breach of contract. Although you may not be able to rectify the problem on the day, the entertainment provider must legally provide a full refund and you may be entitled to compensation.

READ MORE: 12 ways to save on wedding flowers

What should we do if we need to delay our honeymoon?

If you need to cancel your honeymoon, start by looking at the Ts & Cs in your cancellation policy. They can vary depending on when you are travelling, who you are travelling with and the reasons you would like to cancel. Legally you should be able to cancel a holiday before you go, but this would be subject to a cancellation fee unless it falls under a category covered by your insurance, such as war, a serious disease or natural disasters. If you are cancelling your holiday due to significant changes by your travel provider, the company should pay you any money that you are owed within 14 days.

Want more wedding information and inspiration? Just hit ‘Like’ on our Wedding Ideas Facebook page, and ‘Follow’ on our @wimagazine Twitter account to join in the conversation.