“Every bride-to-be knows what they want every little detail to look like for their wedding day, from the flowers and decorations to the dress and the accessories,” says Get Knotted‘s expert planner and florist Lindsey Hunter. “However, finding details to exactly suit what brides want can be a difficult task. The perfect way to get details exactly as you want them is to make them yourself!”
“That’s why I’ve put together this easy-to-follow guide on how to make a beautiful wedding buttonhole. Use this step by step to make different designs, get creative and add colour, accessories and materials that match your own wedding theme.”
What you’ll need…
- Thin florist wire
- Thick florist wire
- A brooch and accessories
- Masking tape
Step by step
- Gather your materials. Thread small beads on to thin wire and repeat this for as many sprigs as you want for your button hole.
- Attach these wires to longer, sturdier wires which will form the stem of the button hole. Wrap each with some masking tape.
- Choose a flower head, or any accessory you want as the main feature.
- Attach a brooch of your choice to some thick wire and place where you would like it. Find one which highlights the groom’s interests or hobbies. We have used an aeroplane brooch for a pilot.
- Assemble all of the component parts how you like and tape them all together to keep them in place.
- Finish the stem by wrapping with a narrow ribbon and tie in a small bow at the top to add a delicate finish.
For an extra special touch incorporate a family heirloom into your creation or try adding some small natural or paper flowers. Hungry for more craft projects? Check out our dedicated DIY section for even more ideas!