It’s a given that your dream dress will be discovered in the company of your best girls, be that your mum, sisters or friends, but should your groom get a glimpse too?
If you’re a stickler for tradition or err on the side of superstition, your answer will likely be no, he can wait until you get to the aisle! But for some couples, seeing each other before the ceremony has become the new favourite, taking away their nerves, giving them a private moment together, and allowing for some beautiful first look photos to be taken.
Here are the reasons for and against letting your groom see your wedding dress so you can decide what is right for you!
KEEP IT SECRET
- It’s bad luck to even see each other before the wedding, let alone for him to see your wedding dress, too!
- You want it to be a surprise for everyone, including him, so you can fully enjoy your big moment.
- As you step down the aisle, emotions will be high, so when he sees you, his beautiful bride, for the first time it’ll be ten times more amazing.
- He loves you for you, so you know he’ll love whatever dress you choose.
LET HIM SEE
- You don’t have to show him ages in advance, it can still be a surprise for your wedding day, but by seeing each other in the morning before the ceremony, you can reassure each other and whisk away any wedding nerves, letting you enjoy the moment fully when the time comes.
- Many photographers now offer the option of having first look photos taken (add them to this list of your essential photos so your photographer knows what to get), so you won’t be leaving it to chance to have your groom’s expression when he sees you preserved on film – they’ll specifically do just that.
- If you honoured every superstition and tradition, your bridesmaids would be dressed like you, in white, to confuse evil spirits (and you thought your girls should never wear white!).
- If you had a say in his suit choice, it’s only fair that he should get to give your dress choice the once over too, right?