Every bride wants to look and feel fabulous on her wedding day, and it’s never too early to start the wedding beauty prep.
From make-up to fake tan, avoid any beauty blunders and look AMAZING on your big day with these expert tips and tricks from Hannah Wilkinson!
1. If you’re worried about shine ruining your make-up, then a primer, some loose powder and a setting spray will give your look that all important staying power. Benefit’s POREfessional face primer (£24.50) gives skin an amazing silky smooth finish, and we love Urban Decay’s Setting Spray (£21) for make-up that looks fresh, fab and just-applied for 12 hours.
2. Feel like you’ve tried everything to keep an oily t-zone at bay? Make-up artist and YouTube sensation Wayne Goss suggests applying a translucent powder BEFORE you apply your foundation to keep your face matte all day. It sounds crazy but works a treat!
3. If you’re choosing professional make- up, then it’s important you book yourself in for a trial to get the right look for your big day. You’ll be able to see which products work best for you, as well as test how long they’ll actually last on your skin. You’ll also have plenty of time to tell your make-up artist exactly what look you want and ask them any important questions you might have.
4. Don’t underestimate the importance of good eyebrows to frame your face. If you’ve never had your brows shaped before, we recommend visiting a salon at least a month before the big day. The experts will be able to find the best shape to suit your face and can suggest products to keep them looking good. Haven’t got time and need to fill out patchy brows pronto? Then you need to get your hands on WunderBrow (£19.95). This product will revolutionise your make-up routine – the gel formula creates a fibre texture that’s perfect for adding shape and natural colour. It’s smudge-proof and waterproof so will stay put for days, too!
5. You must have heard about contouring by now, but don’t assume it’s for everyone. While it’s a great way to define your face, don’t go overboard – strong contouring may look great in photos but you won’t look like yourself, especially if you’re not used to wearing make-up. Our suggestion? Get your hands on Clinique’s Chubby Stick Sculpting Contour (£19) or their Up-Lighting Liquid Illuminator (£22.50). These products blend easily and will subtly sculpt your face without looking over the top.
6. Worried about running out of your favourite mascara just before the wedding? Make-up expert and co-owner of The Beauty Spot, Esta Hughes, suggests putting the tube in a cup of hot water to make it last a few more days.
7. Manicured nails are the finishing touch for a perfectly polished look. Keep cuticles in tip-top condition by soaking your nails in olive oil and lemon juice, and make sure varnish goes on smoothly by wiping your nails down with a white vinegar and water solution before applying.
8. Everyone wants a flawless complexion on their big day, and our fave skin saviour is the new Magnitone London Barefaced! Vibra-Sonic Cleansing Brush (£75). Not only will this give your skin a deep clean each day, it will also tone your face in a 60 second workout! Your skin will be fresh and smooth, giving you the perfect base for moisturiser and make-up.
9. Spots are a nightmare and they can stick around well after the teenage years. While there are a few tricks you may have heard of like covering spots with toothpaste or aspirin, it’s the products you use every day that affect your skin’s condition. Overwashing leads to dryness and causes the skin to overproduce sebum, which can cause spots. If you’re prone to pimples we recommend you choose products that contain salicylic acid, use a moisturiser daily and apply a night serum to repair your skin while you sleep. Even if your skin is naturally oily, an oil- based serum helps hydrate and replenish the skin and can actually reduce oily outbreaks. We love the natural facial oils from Neal’s Yard Remedies.
10. It’s a great idea to wear a special perfume on your big day – maybe the one you wore on your first date, or the perfume your partner bought you for your birthday. Beauty expert Laura Meredith from Hair Trade suggests spritzing perfume on recently moisturised skin to help the fragrance sink in and ensure the scent lasts all day.
11. The wrist, neck and other pulse points are the best places to spritz as these areas emit the most heat, meaning that smell will be diffused better. Lightly spraying perfume in your hair can also make a scent last longer and it will smell amazing whenever you move your head. Don’t overdo it though, as perfume is drying and can damage hair. If you’re worried you could buy a perfume specifically designed for hair such as Sachajuan Protective Hair Perfume (£47), which will protect your locks AND smell fab.
12. Did you know that if your hands are orange from applying fake tan all you need to do is wash them with toothpaste and rinse off? Genius!
13. Don’t fake tan the night before the wedding – this is a disaster waiting to happen. Instead do it a minimum of 48 hours before the big day so you have time to correct any streaks. You should also wait 24 hours after waxing and 12 hours after shaving for a smooth and flawless finish.
14. There are a number of items in your kitchen cupboards that can work wonders on limp and damaged hair. Our favourite concoctions? A hair mask made from a mix of avocado and olive oil applied for 20 minutes will keep your hair smooth and shiny, or for an even easier option, a spray mix of coconut oil and water will hydrate hair on the go. We guarantee you’ll have luscious locks in no time.
15. If you want long, strong hair for your big day, incorporate lots of leafy greens and healthy fats into your diet. We promise it’ll be worth it when your mane is looking super shiny and free of split ends!
Now you’re up-to-date with our fabulous tips, check out the ultimate wedding hair timetable!